Sunday, October 3, 2010

Raptor Fest 2010 -- Part 2

Some of the educational exhibits at Raptor Fest:

There were plenty of replica raptor skulls and talons. Mikro is holding bald eagle and golden eagle talons below (Golden eagle's are bigger). And this is what a redtailed hawk's skull looks like.



Owl pellet dissection was really interesting. Our pellet had a vole skull, a mouse skull, and a rat skull, as well as lots of smaller bones. Last time we did this project at home, Mikro didn't want to get his hands dirty and I wound up doing most of the work. This time he dove right in and really got into it. I'm not sure if that was because he's older, less easily grossed out, or because, having watched The Owl Box webcam, and seen Molly the Barn Owl hack up pellets, it was more intriguing to him...



We learned about different types of feathers and their purposes.





And we reviewed the science behind flight and looked at the differences in types of raptors.




I have to edit down videos before I can post them, and my back is really bad right now, so I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow... Being on my feet too much two days in a row, in the damp, has made my arthritis sit up and take notice...

No comments: