Tuesday, December 10, 2013

MOMA & Magritte with Cin (and Bonham's again!)

One of my best friends in the whole world was back in NY for a visit recently, and we got together for a trip to the Museum of Modern Art.

cinandchelemoma1 cinandmikroatmoma1

Mikro recently read a children's book biography of Rene Magritte, and when he finished, announced: "Mom, this artist inspired me!" He grabbed his notebook and did a series of drawings that Magritte's work inspired. They're just pencil sketches, and he wants to do them in a more colorful medium before sharing, but I was so thrilled that looking at art got him excited to make art of his own.

So when my friend Cin asked which museum we were interested in, Mikro lobbied hard for MOMA, because I had mentioned the Magritte exhibit there. Cin was happy to oblige, and we had a wonderful time looking at some really cool artwork.

I sketched in one of my little notebooks, and read all the placards, and I learned a huge amount. Unfortunately, since it is a special exhibit, you can't take photos... But here are some pages from my notebook, and some photos from MOMA's permanent collections, where non-flash photos are allowed...

magrittenotes1

magritte2

magritte3

magritte4

magritte5

magritte7

picasso1

sleepinggypsy

thedreamer1

lions

matisseredstudio

cinandmikroatmoma21

After MOMA, we took a short walk over to Bonham's Auction House to show Cin the Dueling Dinosaurs. It was apparently the big fancy preview night for people who were going to be bidding, and the media, and my budding paleontologist actually had a chance to be in the same room with Dr. Bob Bakker (and the previous day, Pete Larson)!

drbobbakker

peekaboo

trexattack


No comments: