Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homeschool Nature Class -- Tree Bud Study

Today we gathered samples of tree buds, talked about tree identification methods, and looked at the buds under the microscope.





I take notes for Mikro, since he really isn't ready to do that just yet... but I hope my sketchbooks will be a good memory refresher for him (and help me put together quarterly reports next year when he's of compulsory age and I have to do the New York paperwork.)





After class, we watched birds at the feeders, played in the snow (not me!), and drove over to the canoe launch to look for eagles. This time we saw four, but at a distance. Still no jaw-droppingly amazing sightings like we had last year...

But I did get one cool photo of a tufted titmouse in flight.



And on our way out of the park, we saw kite surfers on the frozen Hudson River...

No comments: