Friday, February 13, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count -- Day One

Today was the first day of the National Audubon Society and Cornell Lab of Ornithology's annual Great Backyard Bird Count.

This is the first time Mikro and I participated, and we had great fun. I was really pleased about how excited my little guy was about doing this. He helped me count and even spotted a few of our birds and identified them before I did.

We watched our own yard and surrounding area, sometimes from our porch swing, and part of the time from my car, which makes a great bird blind. If we're quiet, they seem to have no clue we're in there watching...

Today's Species Count:

Bald Eagle 3
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Ring-billed Gull 1
Mourning Dove 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 6
House Sparrow 4

It isn't too late to participate if you are interested. It's fun, quick and fairly easy. 15 minutes of your time is all it takes. Give it a try! And check out Cornell's helpful resources for educators (generally) and for the GBBC in particular.

No comments: