Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pow Wow

On Saturday, Mikro went to his first pow wow. It was a super hot day, with no shade, and as we sat watching the dancers, Mikro was feeling the heat. I bought him a bandana and soaked it in our ice chest, then tied it on him as a do rag. A little later, he was raring to go and even got up and participated in the dancing.





Friday was my birthday (ouch, I feel old. 44 didn't bother me, but 45 does...), and with birthday money from my mom and mother in law, I bought myself something really special. It's a beaded pouch with a Tree of Peace design. I love it! Mikro wangled a coyote mask, a rattle and a martin skull out of me.

And mmmmmm, fry bread... One of these days I have to figure out how to make gluten free fry bread for Mikro...

7 comments:

Ina's 5 and our Native Homeschool Blog said...

The design is a stylized version of the Iroquois confederacy belt. The tree of peace is usually represented by a solid purple shape similar to a spade on a deck of cards. On yours it is replaced by an actual picture of the tree of peace. My husband is Mohawk and I am Lakota. We were also at a powwow this weekend. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves

Lisa said...

Great photos! Looks like an amazing day. Happy Birthday! Your birthday gift sounds lovely.

FairyLover said...

Your birthday is the 24th??? So is mine. I wish I was 45 again. I turned 60 this year. Nappy Birthday. Happy Homeschooling. Happy Happy.

Kathi

Chele said...

Hi, Ina. I'm a tiny bit Mohawk, very diluted. My family started out near Quebec, then intermarried with the French & Irish, settled in Saratoga Springs NY, then moved down to Brooklyn. A lot of the older generations just rathered be called French, and wouldn't acknowledge any native blood. Me, I'm curious about what was lost. Your kids are so lucky to have their traditions passed on to them. I really enjoy reading your blog!

Chele said...

Thans, Lisa. It was a really good day!

Chele said...

Happy Birthday back at you, Kathi! How cool that we share a birthday! Hope you had a great day.

~Chele

Ina's 5 and our Native Homeschool Blog said...

Thanks. Grew up without my traditions be use I was part o a policy called the 60's scoop which mention I was taken and placed for adoption in a non-Native home. Luckily I have a great Mom in law who has taught me much of her culture and made sure there have been people to teach me mine (since there are many differences between Lakota's and Mohawks). So I knew how important it was to give my kids what I didn't have. I very much enjoy reeding about all the time you spend outside. Something I struggle to do, some of that is weather and I miss spending much of the summer outside. Some of it is also planning which lies on me to fix. Perhaps a trip upto one of the rezs in Quebec or to St.Regis in NY state you allow you guys to learn some of where your family came from or see I there is a Native center where you live