Saturday, February 2, 2008

Plans & Stuff & Mikro's Vegetarian Revisionist Version of Prehistory

We're supposed to be at the Brooklyn Museum of Art for their Free First Saturday Lunar New Year event. But we bagged it, because it's cold and damp, and my arthritis is reminding me I'm not supermom, and besides, most of the stuff seems like it's over Mikro's head. The Lunar New Year thingie at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens tomorrow looks more his speed, so we'll do that instead... Tomorrow's forecast is for a 20 degree differential between high and low temperatures. How do you dress for that? Layers, I guess...

February is completely overscheduled. We have a Mikro activity every weekend, sometimes both days. And Nature class during the week, and a couple field trips I'm hoping we'll do. Mikro is begging to go back to the Bronx Zoo and AMNH, and there's a marionette production of Pippi Longstocking in Central Park that we want to see. I just heard about a cool hands on science exhibit in Staten Island which is perfect for bug obsessed boy. And I really want to go to Liberty Science Center in Jersey. I've never been there, but people rave about it...

Mikro desperately wants to ride one of those double decker NYC tourist buses and the Circle Line, but I'm hoping we can put that off till the weather is warmer.

I need to schedule a trip to AMNH with my sister-in-law and Mikro's cousins to see the H2O exhibit (which has live fish and frogs, something Mikro *loves*) and I somehow have to clear enough clutter out of here between now and mid April to get the boy a puppy for his birthday. He misses Piper and wants a little scottie dog. I'm kind of amazed he remembers her.

He's very into dinosaurs right now, but not digging the harsh realities of predation. My soft hearted little vegetarian asks "why do some creatures eat meat?" constantly. He just told me a little story about how a species of dinosaur eats poisonous plants (like monarch caterpillars with milkweed) to make themselves poisonous to predators. "A T-Rex might attack this dinosaur, but he would get very sick and he would never choose to attack another!" Alas, my son, the T in T-Rex doesn't stand for Tofu!

Off to make what Kevin calls a bowl of tea. A 22 oz. mug just isn't big enough...

No comments: