Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nature Nearby

We try to do as much of our learning as possible outdoors. Even though yesterday was at times rainy or drizzling, we did some reading outside, and adjourned to the car when it got wet, to wait out the sun's return. Mikro gets a kick out of sitting in the front seat in the driveway. And I love the fact that the Blue Beast makes an excellent bird blind...

While we were sitting at our patio table earlier, Mikro spotted a gorgeous hummingbird drinking from my neighbor's window box of nasturtiums. I didn't have my camera, of course. After our small visitor departed, I ran inside and grabbed the camera, hoping the little green wonder would return...

Our patience was rewarded. Although it was rainy and dim, I managed to get a couple of shots of the hummer feeding from our butterfly bush, and perched on one of our old tomato cages. Wish the light had been better, but I'm thrilled to have had the privilege of seeing one of nature's miracles in my garden.



This seems to be a female Ruby Throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris). Males have the red throat; females and immature birds don't.

I was surprised to see the hummer and so many other birds out and about and feeding ravenously in the drizzle.

Some of our other dinner guests:



1 comment:

Natalia said...

Hi, Chele: we just spotted our first hummingbird this week at our window, here in Long Island. I think it was a Rubythroated h. too.
We're very excited! No camera nearby, though.
Natalia