Monday, October 31, 2011

Dragon, the Evolution.... Mask Making Steps

Last time I posted, we were at this stage: the skullcap portion of the mask, with attachment points for ears...



Next, I sculpted the upper part of the snout. This is a cut up amazon box, held together by rubberbands, and plaster wrap. The nostrils are rolled bits of pasterwrap, molded to shape and then covered over with more plaster wrap. (Please forgive the mess in front of my monitor...my desk is always messy.)



And then I attached the ears and the snout.



Hmm, still needs something... Modify the snout, since it looked a little too canine. Let's try horns. These are newspaper rolled into a cone and covered with plaster wrap...



And then I sculpted the lower snout, with more cut up amazon cardboard box, and some scotch tape, and plaster wrap. I cut a longish piece of cardboard and added it to the back, and will be attaching velcro to it, so it can be strapped on and worn beneath the top part of the mask. (Forgot to snap a photo...)

Next, after letting it dry over night, I broke out the spray paint. I had never used any of the chrome stuff before, and now know what NOT to do. It was also very cold outside and not optimal for painting. The stuff was dripping right off the plaster in the cold, so I would spray it and have Kev run it inside to dry. On a warm day, I could have done a much better job, but it seems to work OK. It just isn't the paint job I envisioned...



And I'm still not done. I'm going to be cutting teeth out of foam core and hot gluing them in, attaching plastic eye hole covers to give him amber eyes, adding the velcro to the lower jaw, and hot gluing some fabric matching the costume (tunic and pants that I free handed a pattern for and Kev sewed together for me, along with wings and a tail that Kev is designing...) along the back of the neck (sort of like a foreign legion hat, to cover the neck.)

All this still has to get done before dark, and I have treat bags to make up, as well.

Happy Halloween, everyone! Mikro has been under the weather, but is looking forward to Trick or Treating for UNICEF. This is his donations page, if anyone would like to contribute a dollar or so:

No comments: