Saturday, November 26, 2011

Occupy Wall Street



I do not teach the fairy tale versions of American History and Civics taught in public school. You know, the one where happy pilgrims and indians are bossom buddies, where the government is always beneficent and benevolent and never ever does us wrong, where one man one vote actually results in equal political clout for all, and where the police are always our friends. If you want my radical outlook, listen to Pete Seeger's "What Did You Learn in School Today?"



Anyway, the right to free speech and peaceful protest matters to me. I frequenty exclaim in frustration that I am neither democrat nor republican, because neither party represents me. My son calls me a hippie Constitutionalist. I resemble that remark. I wanted Mikro to see people standing up for what they believe and petitioning our government for redress, so we stopped by Occupy Wall Street to see civics in action, just a few days before Bloomberg's police raid.













No comments: