Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Skelsie, Skully, Whatever You Call It

Did you grow up playing a game with bottlecaps and a board chalked on the street? Did you call it Skully, Skelly, Skelsie (what we called it on my Brooklyn block) or something else? It seems to have varied by neighborhood, but it was the joy of many a summer day when I was growing up. I can vividly remember the smell of melting Crayolas on the stove (and getting yelled at for making a mess!) to make our shooters. I have wanted to teach Mikro for ages, but couldn't remember the exact layout of the board. Well, thanks to Streetplay, I can now pass on this fun tradition to my son.

If you are trying to remember the games we played way back when, the songs and rhymes for skipping rope or bouncing ball games, and vehicles for choosing up sides, or you are curious about what your parents and grandparents played back in the dark ages, give this site a looksee. I finally got to see pictures of "Johnny on the Pony", which was Mikro's granddad's favorite childhood game! Mikro and I both now can picture what my Dad was talking about.

Thanks, Streetplay!

No comments: