Thursday, January 19, 2012

Recently at the Croton Free Library: Art Making!

Our local library has had some wonderful art programs recently. Last Saturday, we had a kids' cartooning workshop, and an adult class on tissue paper collage. (This big never grew up kid was invited to draw with all the other (actual) kids when I raised my hand in response to instructor Jamie Ross' question, "Who likes to draw cartoons?", so I did!) First we looked at how to draw some popular cartoon characters, and then Mikro and I came up with characters of our own. He drew a robot boy, and I did some owlets.









Afterwards, Mikro was super cooperative and camped out reading a Mouse Guard graphic novel while I did the adult workshop. This is an easy, fun way of creating. I did a Hudson River sunset. It's hard to believe this is just scraps of tissue paper and some diluted glue!



Mikro is also participating in a weekly program at the library called Crafty Kids. He loves this and is so excited to go every week. Recently, they have done some clay work, painted canvas floor cloths, and learned some origami. They even made fortunetellers, just like I did as a kid. I wish I remembered how to fold those. I'll have to see if I can get Mikro to remind me...







No comments: