Monday, April 16, 2012

Things That Make Me Happy: Pattern Spotting

When I was a kid, I used to have a ball finding faces and shapes in the wood grain paneling, or the clouds, or the milk in my grandmother's coffee. And most of my artist friends tell similar tales. I had major deja vu the other day when Mikro asked me if I could find the penguin* in the decorative wrought iron hanging behind our table at the local pizza place.

*Actually, he said pangolin, and I had to get pretty creative to find a penguin...



Here's what we saw:





My mom thought this was a very weird childhood obsession of mine, and I used to annoy at least some of her friends, whose kitchen wallpaper I studied endlessly... But I think pattern recognition and being able to see something beyond the obvious are fairly useful skills, so I play along whenever Mikro is inspired to try. And I'm glad to be reminded to look up at the clouds and dream a little.

Do you look for shapes in the clouds or whatever comes to hand? Happy dreaming!

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I can't remember the name, but there was a picture book about the faces seen in trees and nature. Native Americans also had this habit of looking for faces. :o)

Now I'm going to be thinking all day about what the name of the book is.

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina