Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Myth-story and Music

I was still thinking about the Columbus Day stuff, especially the uncritical portrayal of Columbus in the schools, and happened to be on You Tube today, when I came across some music that sparked a discussion with Mikro about how history is mythologized in "mainstream" education.

We listened to Pete Seeger singing "What Did You Learn in School Today?" and "Garbage" (which talks about our disposable society, but also the garbage that passes for education these days), and Johnny Cash singing "As Long As The Grass Shall Grow", which dovetails with the George Washington never told a lie myth nicely. (Cough-- broken treaties---cough.) We had a long talk about what they mean.

And when Kev asked what we learned in homeschool today, I responded, "Oh, just spent the day radical-izing your son..."

Kev's response: "Uh huh. So what's new?"

Here, if I can figure out how to do it, are the videos...

Pete Seeger sings "What Did You Learn in School Today":



Pete Seeger sings "Garbage":



Johnny Cash sings "As Long As the Grass Shall Grow":

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Did you see the one with different people criticizing Columbus Day and asking for an Indigenous People Day? Let me know if you haven't and I'll send you the link. A couple of my friends posted it on FB.

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Chele said...

I think I linked to it in my other Columbus Day post? Is it the same one you saw?

:)