Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Groundhog Day!



Our local NYC groundhog, Staten Island Chuck, did not see his shadow and predicts an early spring! So does the more famous Punxsutawney Phil. So happy I could kiss a Marmota monax. (Did you know they are closely related to squirrels?) Yes, I know it's mere superstition, but I'll live with the potentially false hope. So.sick.of.snow. This takes the sting out of missing out on going to see Seussical today because of the lousy weather.

Here's a little song I wrote to the tune of I'm a Little Teapot:

I'm a little groundhog, soft and brown
I came outside and looked around
Didn't see my shadow, hip hooray
Maybe this snow will go away!

Here are some Groundhog Day Songs & Poems from Can Teach. And here are some Groundhog Facts from Cornell University, and a really coolGroundhog FAQ from Hog Haven, which includes photos of a groundhog skull.

The video above has some groundhog vocalizations, and you can listen to more on the Hog Haven site.

Enjoy!

No comments: