Friday, February 25, 2011

Mathtacular! Review

Just wanted to pass along a math resource that we are really enjoying here: Mathtacular! DVDs. Mikro is really enjoying them. They start right at the beginning, with counting, and go up from there. The 4th volume is intended for grades 4-6. Everything is presented in a very concrete way, using manipulatives and games, and with humor.

I'm trying to make sure the basics are really cemented into Mikro's head, and he still has the occasional hiccup with regrouping... This has been a good review and jumping off point for playing with manipulatives.

After about 45 minutes of watching, Mikro turned to me and said "Math isn't work, it's fun!" Best reaction I've gotten to anything math related other than Dreambox, which he really likes. There are also some printables on the discs, but I haven't looked through them yet... and we are only part way through the first disc. So far, though, this is a keeper!



Sonlight has a bundle deal going right now for the first 3 DVDS or for all 4 DVDs, with a level 4 workbook and answer key. They are much cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere. (I didn't get anything free or a commission or any other benefit from Sonlight or Mathtacular or anyone else for posting this review. I just bought the DVDs and found them to be worth sharing!)

1 comment:

Amber said...

Thanks for the review! I found your blog by doing a google search for a mathtacular review. It's always good to know that an item is mother and kid-tested before purchasing it!